Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Another One Bites the Dust

I got home Monday night to discover my living room DVR had bit the dust. It appears that a software upgrade became its death sentence instead.

I tried the suggested Microsoft reboot method (in this case unplugging it for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in). No luck. It was still dead.

I called Verizon on Tuesday to make an appointment for someone to come out and replace my dead unit, and the automated system told me I had a DVR that needs to be replaced, and asked me if I wanted to be sent a new one. Well, yes! That was nice that it already knew I had an problem, and offered a suggestion to resolve my problem. I never had such swift customer service from anyone at Brighthouse! It was always half an hour of my trying to convince a very bored-sounding person that I had tried everything, and that my DVR was indeed dead. 


The new one is being shipped and should arrive on Friday. It will include a label to return the dead unit. It seems pretty easy to me. I, of course, have now lost everything I'd recorded. This is why I so rarely use it to record. I always wind up losing recordings before I can watch them. 

This does make me wonder if there is something wrong with my apartment. I must have gone through at least six DVRs in the living room when I had Brighthouse. I've only had Verizon for eight months, and now another DVR has died. I don't mean to be running a DVR hospice, really I don't!

1 comment:

  1. Usually you don't get new DVRs, you get one that's been refurbed or one that's been reprogrammed after someone dropped the service.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, and will appear after a small delay.