Thursday, September 2, 2010

Getting to Sydney, Part 2

Sunday, 29 August 2010

So, now my body is pretty well confused about the time. I woke up at 6:00am Eastern time on Saturday morning in Tampa, Florida. By the time I boarded the plane in LA, my body was convinced it was really 1:30am on Sunday, even though it was still Saturday night in LA. Now I'm setting my watch ahead so that it's 3:30pm on Sunday, and won't get to Sydney until 6:30am on Monday morning. The net effect is that I lose Sunday altogether. Strange. If that's not time travel, I don't know what is.

* * * * *


I am amazed by what we got on the plane. Awaiting us in each Business Elite seat is a very nice pillow and blanket, along with noise-canceling headphones that we get to use throughout the flight. Also there is a little zippered bag with a pair of non-skid socks, an eye mask, toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion, chap stick, and breath mints. We get to keep the zippered bag. While everyone is still boarding the plane and we are getting all settled into our bed/seats (as always, the seats were upright for take-off and landing), the flight attendants came around offering champagne, mimosas, or orange juice. I opted for a glass of champagne while I perused the dinner, snack, and breakfast menu. I guess they plan to feed us well during the flight. Then the plane was ready to leave, and I wound up snoozing for a bit, with my head propped against the nice fluffy pillow.


The next thing I know, it's time for dinner. I wanted the Salmon, but that was all gone by the time they asked the paying passengers what they wanted (they got to pick first). That's okay with me. I ordered the beef instead, which was a fantastic choice. First was the appetizers: asparagus soup, which was quite yummy, tuna tartar with soy beans, which was not so yummy, and some unpleasant cheese with what tasted like vinegar-soaked olives. There was a salad, too, but I passed on that. Then the main dish arrived. Mine turned out to be a nice beef fillet, mashed red potatoes, and green beans that actually weren't over-cooked. Since they don't give proper steak knives, it was hard to cut the steak, but I managed, and it was worth the work.


While I ate I took advantage of the free movies, and watched "9". It was short by most movie standards these days, at 1 hour 20 minutes, but that seemed perfect for that movie. It was cute, but a little preachy, and I am glad I didn't pay $9.50 to see it in a theater.


When I was a kid and we'd fly somewhere far away for vacation, like California, Delta had what they called Royal Service in First Class on the L-1011s. One of the things I remember clearly to this day was the dessert sundaes: they would let you pick your own toppings, and they'd make it for you right there in the aisle. Dessert on this flight reminded me of that. We had a choice of fresh fruit, cheesecake, or a sundae. I, of course, could not resist having a sundae with chocolate fudge sauce, nuts, and whipped cream. It really felt like being a kid again.


After all that I was pleasantly stuffed, and quite tired. I took advantage of the toothbrush and toothpaste, put on my fuzzy socks, reclined the seat and fell asleep. I know I tossed and turned some, trying to get comfortable, but all in all it was still tremendously better than sleeping sitting up in a seat all night.

There aren't any photos to go with this part of my journey. Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, and will appear after a small delay.