Monday, September 6, 2010

The Penguin Parade

Wednesday, 1 September 2010

[NOTE: The photos will be added later. For now, just the Blog.]

Fell asleep last night around 10 or 10:30. I was exhausted from a combination of bad sleep on the train, bad sleep on the bus, and walking all around Melbourne. At least the rain waited for the evening.

I sat the timer on my cell phone for 4 hours thinking that would give me enough of a nap, and that I could get up to pick a tour for Wednesday, post a blog entry or two, and some photos online. It was not to be. I was still dead tired 4 hours later, reset the timer, and fell asleep again. Next time the timer went off I didn't bother to reset it, and went back to sleep again.

* * * * *

Eventually I awoke around 9:00 to a dreary, cloudy, rainy day. I perused the tour booklets and picked the Penguin Parade. I love penguins, and it had the bonus of leaving in the afternoon. I'd already missed most of the tours since they left around 8:30am.

Next I attempted to transfer photos from my camera to the computer. No such luck. It refused to read the cards, or acknowledge the existence of the camera when I connected it directly. I'll turn the computer off when I leave the room today, and try again tonight. The NetBook can be rather temperamental.

I had planned on leaving early enough to pick up my convention badge at the Crown Plaza, but I spent too much time  trying to coax the computer into working. So by the time I was ready to leave, all I had time to do was grab a hot chicken and mushroom pie (think Hot Pockets) and a Coke at the corner 7-Eleven, and walk up the block to the Holiday Inn where the tour bus would be picking me up.

I didn't feel like standing out in the rain waiting, so sat inside. Turns out that the bus had to park a block away, and the bus driver came in to look for me.

Off through the streets of Melbourne toward the Gray Line tour office so I could pay. It still freaks me out that they drive on the left here.

Next to the ticket office is a museum with a Tim Burton exhibit! Why didn't I see that advertised anywhere? I'll have to check that out before I leave.

So, it's a 1.5 hour ride to the first stop in Churchill. Our bus driver is giving us awesome information along the way. We even got to see Queen Victoria's backside (we passes the back of a statue).

* * * * *

The bus driver had us all introduce ourselves. Turns out that the woman in front of me is from New Brunswick, Canada, and she's here for Worldcon! I've always said it's a small planet. Other people on the bus are from China, South Korea, Denmark, Arizona, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Norway, and Taiwan.

* * * * *

Giant Earth Worms of the Bass Valley. The bus driver said they have worms that grow to 12-13" in length. Ewwww.

* * * * *

First stop was Churchill Island where we got to grab coffee and walk through a Wallaby enclosure. I got some awesome photos, including a mum with a Joey in her pouch.

Turns out the San Francisco couple are here for Worldcon, too. Back on the bus now, where 10 other people have joined us. I heard someone is from Italy.

And now the battery on the camera wants changing. 2.5 days of photographing with it is an enormous improvement over the 2.5 hour battery life on the old camera bit needed new batteries again.

Next up: the Koala Conservation Center.

* * * * *

Woo Hoo! I just saw about a dozen different Koala Bears, all up in the trees. I took lots of photos, but I think most were of Koala behinds. A couple took a notion to glance down at all the people taking their photographs, but mostly they just looked disinterested.

* * * * *

Bummer. We won't be allowed to tale photos of the penguins as they return from the sea.

* * * * *

I got my photo made with green screen penguins. Unfortunately, I was wearing dark green pants so the woman had to adjust the colors so my pants weren't invisible.

These are the smallest penguins in the world, about 12-13" high, and weigh about 2 pounds. I later found out that some people call them Fairy Penguins, but they never mentioned that during the tour.

* * * * *

That was just awesome! First we walked along a boardwalk down to some bleachers set just past the high tide line. We got to watch the sun set while the waves crashed softly against the shore as the tide came in. The rain had stopped, but everything was very wet, so I was happy I decided to buy the rain poncho, which I used as a seat cover. Unfortunately, I stepped in a water puddle and got my socks wet, and
Now my feet are quite cold.

Slowly, the penguins returned in small groups, and made their way up the hill toward their burrows. We could see them thanks to the soft lighting provided by the Penguin Parade facility. After about 15 minutes if watching the penguins arrive via the water, I started my trek back up the hill, and watched the penguins walking around the hills searching for their homes. I even got to walk along side about 5 of them who were walking right next to the boardwalk. It was worth every penny for the trip, and the wet socks.

Of course, any place like this kindly allows you to exit through the gift shop. I got a penguin in a tiny snow globe magnet for the fridge, and at last I got a nice fleece zip-front jacket that isn't a hoodie. And it was a reasonable price, and on sale. I'm happy! And warmer.

* * * * *

Now on the bus headed back to Melbourne. We should get back around 9pm. I didn't have time to get food at the Penguin Parade, so I ate a breakfast bar. See why I always travel with me? I just wonder what will still be open that late.

* * * * *

I finally managed to fall asleep on the bus. I just got back to my hotel room, and it's 9:30pm. I am disappointed to find the room light was left open because you can see into my room from the hallway.

I'm debating on napping for an hour or finding food now. I did get out of my wet socks and into my warm fuzzy ones. My feet may forgive me soon.

1 comment:

  1. Did I mention I love penguins?!?!?! Wish you could have gotten pictures of them!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, and will appear after a small delay.