Thursday, September 2, 2010

Getting to Sydney, Part 3


Monday, 30 August 2010

I think I must have managed about 8 or 9 hours sleep, based on when I woke up. I guess I missed the mid-flight snack, as I never heard them coming around with it. They didn't disturb the sleeping passengers. Bless them.

I woke up just in time for breakfast. I had a choice of French Toast with scrambled eggs or Pancakes. I picked the French Toast, which also came with two strange sausage links, fresh fruit, and poisoned yogurt (Light Yogurt with aspartame). Obviously I skipped the poisoned yogurt. Which reminds me, I want to check groceries in Australia to see if they are as evil to their people as the USA is, hiding poisonous sugar substitutes in very nearly everything.

Not much time left before landing, so I didn't watch anything else on video. I filled out my declarations card, put my shoes back on, and waited for landing.

I don't know about you, but it's been a LONG time since I've had to exit a huge airplane by way of stairs. Stairs arent easy to navigate while carrying your carry-on luggage. Add in being cooped up for over 14 hours, and my right knee with no cartilage and it was even less fun. Then we boarded a bus with no seats, and were driven around the airport to Customs. I give these folks huge credit for getting everyone through the lines really fast. And now my passport has a new stamp in it!

Because I answered yes to having food with me (breakfast bars I normally bring along), I had to go through a different line and have all my stuff X-rayed again. They are picky about what sorts of things people bring into the country.

* * * * *


Here's the sign I first saw after coming through customs. So nice of Vodaphone to welcome us to Australia.

First stop: getting a local phone in case of emergencies. I found the Vodaphone store. Nokia phone for $29, plus $29 for $150 of use. That should be plenty. They charge here by the cost per minute instead of flat minute usage, at least on the pay-as-you-go phones. I also sprung for an aircard so I could get online with my computer. I get the feeling that Internet access here is going to be hard to come by. If you want my phone number, send me email.

Next stop: finding a hotel for the day so I can take a shower! Also, it'll be a safe place to leave my luggage while I explore Sydney. I doubt the train stations have lockers anyway, let alone showers! I stopped at the Information Desk, and the woman there helped me arrange for a room near Central Station, and for the shuttle bus to the hotel.

The suitcase is starting to annoy me. It won't roll straight, and it fell over a couple of times getting outside and down to the bus. You'd think having 5 wheels on a suitcase would be a good thing, but it appears they can't all agree which direction they should go.


* * * * *

Here are all the photos from the set called Arriving in Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, and will appear after a small delay.